- City Clerk's Office
- Business Licenses & Registrations
- Mobile Food Unit
Mobile Food Unit
A mobile food unit (MFU) is a food and beverage service establishment that is a vehicle mounted unit, either motorized or trailer, and readily movable, without disassembling, for transport to another location. The unit can operate no more than 21 days annually at any one place unless granted authorization by the City, or unless the unit is operated in conjunction with a permanent business licensed under Minnesota Statutes Section 157 or Section 28A at the site of the permanent business by the same individual or company, and readily movable, without disassembling, for transport to another location.
Guidance relating to food and food handlers is contained in the Maplewood City Code, Chapter 14, Article VI; Minnesota Statutes Section 145A and Section 157; and Minnesota Rule 462610 to Rule 4626.2010. All license holders are required to be familiar with the provisions of this Chapter and with applicable Minnesota Statutes and federal regulations.
Apply for a License
Applications for a Mobile Food Unit license have been transitioned from a paper application to an online licensing system (Accela) and is available via the Citizen Access portal.
The following documents are required to be submitted with this application
- Copy of valid Minnesota Department of Health Food Protection Manager Certificate, unless exempt under Minnesota Rules 4626.0033 subparagraph B.
- Certificate of Insurance listing the City of Maplewood as the Certificate Holder (See SAMPLE)
- Mobile Food Unit - Notification of Activity Form (PDF) (if applicable)
- Copy of Minnesota Department of Health Mobile Food Unit License (if applicable)
- Inspection conducted by Maplewood Health Officer and Maplewood Fire Department. Inspection Checklist for the Fire Department is available here.
Guide to using the Citizen Access Portal
Please use the reference guides below to assist you in registering for an account and applying for a license. If you need additional assistance please call 651-249-2005.
Notification of Activity
Annual license holders must notify the City (PDF) no less than two days prior to operation of the Mobile Food Unit in the city, or upon movement of the unit to another location within the City.
If operation at a single location is greater than 21 days, annually, City approval is required (Minnesota Statutes Section 157.15, Subdivision 9). If operation at a single location is greater than four months, annually, a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is required (City Code, Section 44-511, Subdivision 18).
Expiration / Renewal
License term runs May 1st through April 30th, annually. Renewal must occur on or before the date of expiration.
All license fees are set by the City of Maplewood Fee Schedule.