The City's sign ordinance establishes a comprehensive and impartial system of sign regulations that balances the needs for effective visual communication and a safe, well-maintained, and attractive community.
Sign Permit & Sign Installer License
A sign permit is required for all permanent signs and some temporary signs; Dynamic Display signs require an annual license. In addition, all sign installers (including those who install portable temporary signs) must be licensed by the City of Maplewood. Please contact 651-249-2300 for licensing questions.
Applications & Handouts
Applications can be submitted by email, in person, or by mail to 1902 County Road B E or dropped off in a clearly marked envelope via the dropbox outside the front door at 1902 County Road B E.
Comprehensive Sign Plan Application (PDF) - Required for:
- Long-term exemptions to banner and window sign ordinance
- Multi-tenant building signs
- Shared signs
- Signs in planned unit developments
- Signs on large campuses
- Sports facility signs in parks
- Wall dynamic display signs
- Dynamic display signs when in conjunction with a permitted institutional use
Street Classification (PDF) - Needed to determine new freestanding sign size