The City of Maplewood Planning Division champions the values of our community by guiding development and protecting the environment through studies and zoning controls. The Planning Division is primarily responsible for the review and management of new developments, subdivisions, and redevelopment.
The division coordinates the preparation of a comprehensive plan that lays out the City's long-range plans for:
- Economic development
- Land use
- Parks and open space
- Sanitary sewer
- The division also provides information and assistance to residents, businesses, and developers.
- Within the context of the comprehensive plan, the division administers the city's zoning and subdivision ordinances, which govern how property can be used and divided.
- The division makes recommendations to the Planning Commission and Maplewood City Council on all land use issues.
- The division also acts as a liaison to the City's Planning Commission and Community Design Review Board (CDRB) - preparing its reports and minutes.
Zoning, Land Use & Flood Map Information
If you need zoning, land use, and/or flood map information for a parcel please visit our Interactive Zoning Map.
Zoning and Land Use - Find out information about zoning and land use for your property.
Planning Applications and Handouts
- Land Use Applications- Find applications, including requirements, for all planning issues, including:
- Conditional use permits
- Street vacations
- Planning Handouts - Locate guidelines for the placement of swimming pools, fences, general setbacks for single-family lots, a generic site plan, and the noise control ordinance.
- Signs - Find information on the city's sign ordinance. Read about general requirements for signs. Download the application for commercial sign permits.
Important Links to Planning Materials
- Gladstone Market Study (PDF) - The city commissioned the market study in 2003 and it was updated in November of 2012.
- Gladstone Master Plan (PDF) - The city council adopted the Gladstone Redevelopment Master Plan in March 2007.
- Hillcrest Village Opportunity Site (PDF) - Metropolitan Council study from November 2002 - Created in coordination with the cities of Maplewood and Saint Paul.