A permit is required for basement finish projects if:
- Any walls are being constructed
- Sheetrock is being installed
See the basement finish handout (PDF) for specifics for egress window requirements and the checklist for requirements before applying. If you are putting a bathroom in the basement you are required to obtain a building, plumbing (PDF), electrical (PDF), and possibly a mechanical (PDF) permit. All gas work must be done by a contractor who is licensed for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) with the City of Maplewood.
Note: Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors (PDF) are required to be placed throughout the house per code before a final inspection will be approved.
Documentation required when applying for a basement finish building permit:
- Building Permit Application (PDF) - Including project valuation
- 3 copies of construction plans - Including a floor plan and a list of materials
- Separate permits are required for plumbing, mechanical, or electrical work