The Maplewood Police Department currently has two canine teams. In 2007, Officer Joe Demulling and his partner, Brix, graduated from the Saint Paul Police Department canine training program. In 2016, our second team joined the Department, Officer Todd Langner and Kody.
The Police Department has utilized a canine program since 1977, and since that time, 12 officers and their canine partners have dedicated a great deal of time and effort to the program.
Those officers and their partners include:
- Officer Joe Demulling and Ronan: 2019 to present
- Officer Todd Langner and Kody: 2016 to present
- Officer Joe Demulling and Brix: 2013 to 2018
- Officer Tony Gabriel and Yoda: 2007 to 2016
- Officer Brian Bierdeman and Rebel: 2007 to 2016
- Officer Steve Hiebert and Duke: 1999 to 2007
- Officer Stan Belde and Jagr: 2000 to 2007
- Officer Steve Palma and Jake: 1995 to 2000
- Officer John Bohl and Shep: 1989 to 1999
- Officer John Banick and Kodiak / Prince: 1985 to 1995
- Officer Scott Steffen and Tiger: 1984 to 1991
- Officer Dan Mettler and Pepper: 1980 to 1984
- Officer Dick Lang and Lade: 1977 to 1987
Donation from Saint Paul K-9 Foundation & Sam's Club for New K-9 Team
Thanks in part to the generosity of the Saint Paul Police K-9 Foundation, Maplewood Police were able to welcome the K-9 team of Officer Joe Demulling and partner, Brix.
The Saint Paul Police K-9 Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose focus is on educational and charitable purposes to support the Saint Paul Police Department Canine Unit. The Saint Paul Police K-9 Foundation sometimes offers financial support to other law enforcement agencies utilizing the Saint Paul Police canine training program.
White Bear Lake Sam's Club in 2013
Employees at the White Bear Lake Sam's Club presented a donation to the Saint Paul Police K-9 Foundation, a portion of which would be used to fund the grant for a new Maplewood Police Department K-9 team. Through the efforts of Sam's Club employees, more than $14,000 was raised and presented to the K-9 Foundation. Approximately $6,000 of that was used to offset a portion of the cost to the Maplewood Police Department.