A Residential Driveway Permit (PDF) is required when constructing a completely new driving surface or reconstructing more than 50% of the existing driving surface:
- Reconstruction includes the replacement, expansion or upgrading from gravel, block, or pavers to hard surface pavement.
- A permit is also required for construction of any parking pad or paved vehicular storage surface that is contiguous to the existing driveway.
- A separate driveway permit is not required for a permitted new home/garage application.
- A Driveway Plan (PDF) must be approved by the Engineering Division before the permit is issued.
- A homeowner may pull the driveway permit to do the work. When a contractor applies for the driveway permit they must be either state or city licensed (PDF).
Driveways on County Roads
Driveways located on county roads require permits from both Maplewood Public Works and Ramsey County Public Works. The county permit may be obtained from Ramsey County Public Works. Call 651-266-7186 or visit at:
1425 Paul Kirkwold Drive
Arden Hills, MN 55112
On May 14, 2001, the Maplewood City Council adopted an ordinance which states that the total area in the front yard setback area of a single-dwelling lot improved for parking and driveway purposes shall not exceed 40% of the front yard setback area.
The total area in the front yard setback area of a duplex or double-dwelling lot improved for parking and driveway purposes shall not exceed 50% of the front yard setback area.
Encroachment into the 5-foot side lot setback area adjacent to the property side lot line requires both a driveway permit and a signed Variance Request Form (PDF) from the adjacent property owner. This completed variance must be presented before a permit is issued.