Crime Victim Resources

Right & Services For All Crime Victims 

  1.  You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For application and information, call 651.207.7300, TTY: 651.205.4827. Outside the Twin Cities area call 888.622.8799, or go to the Office of Justice Programs.
  2. You have the right to request that the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The law enforcement agency will determine if this is possible.
  3. You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money that is court ordered from the offender and paid to the victim). If you feel your rights as a victim have been violated, call the Crime Victim Justice Unit at 651.201.7310 or 800.247.0390.

Victims of Domestic Assault

  1. You can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint.
  2. You also have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an Order for Protection from domestic abuse, the Order would include the following:
    • an order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse;
    • an order directing the abuser to leave your household;
    • an order preventing the abuser from entering your home (or a reasonable area around your home), school, or business, or place of employment;
    • on order awarding you or the other parent custody of/or visitation of your minor child or children; or
    • an order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor if the abuser has a court order to do so.
  3. You also have the right to notification if prosecution of the cases is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.
Domestic Abuse Resources
  • Day One Domestic Violence Crisis Line
  • Protection/Restraining Order Office (Appointment Required)
  • Sexual Assault Services
  • Tubman Family Alliance – Domestic and Sexual Assault Advocacy

  • UNITED WAY 211 (24-hour emergency referral
    211 or 800.543.7709