Miscellaneous Code

Animal Complaints

Livestock are not permitted to be kept in residential areas. Maplewood's poultry ordinance allows residents to keep up to 10 hens (no roosters) on single-family residential properties (except the city's small lot zoning - R-1S) with a yearly permit. For complaints on livestock, poultry, dogs, or cats, contact the animal control officer through the Police Department at 651-249-2500 (Chapter 10).


Composting is permitted in small quantities as long as the compost pile does not create a nuisance for neighbors from odor or unsightliness. Compost piles must be placed at least 5 feet from rear and side yard property lines and shall not be placed in a front yard (Chapter 30-3[g]).


Firewood may be stored in the backyard if it is neatly stacked at least 6 inches off the ground and piled no higher than 6 feet. It must be screened from view from adjacent properties if it is stored in the front yard, on the street side of a corner lot, or within 5 feet of an interior property line (Chapter 18-33[22]).

Grass & Weeds

Any grass or weeds over the height of eight inches is prohibited and must be cut. All noxious weeds must be removed as required by the State of Minnesota in Minnesota Statutes 18-78 (Chapter 12-147[b]).

Home Occupations

A home occupation must be conducted in a manner where activities are not noticeable from adjacent streets or residence lots and may not adversely affect the residential character of the dwelling or the neighborhood. Outside storage of products, materials or equipment connected with a home occupation is prohibited. The repair of motor vehicles not registered to a resident, or to an immediate relative, of the property where the repair is made is prohibited. An immediate relative would include a son or daughter, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild (Chapter 14.56 to 60).

House Numbers

All houses and commercial buildings must have address numbers on them that are over or near the main entrance of your home or business. They must be at least 3.5 inches tall, but no more than 12 inches in height. Numbers need to be able to be read from the street and be of a durable material (Chapter 32-281).

Noise Complaints

In general loud noise is prohibited between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am. However, if you have a situation in your neighborhood regarding noise (loud music, a barking dog, the use of some mechanical equipment or outdoor implement) you can start by talking to the party involved if you feel comfortable doing so. Sometimes the situation can be resolved, but if that doesn’t work, call non-emergency police dispatch at 651-767-0640. Lawn mowing, yard work, and the use of power tools are limited from 7 am through daylight hours.

Recreational Fires

Recreational fires are restricted to the hours of 2 to 11 pm. Only charcoal, coal, or clean, dry wood may be used for burning. No refuse, grass, leaves, yard waste, or other combustibles shall be burned. These fires shall be at least 20 feet from any building and shall be supervised at all times (Section 20-36 to 40).