Rental Housing Licensing Program

The City of Maplewood adopted an ordinance in 2019 establishing a rental property license program to maintain housing standards and promote public safety and welfare. 

A Rental Property license is required of any person or business offering a dwelling for rent, and a license must be approved and issued by the City of Maplewood before tenants move into the unit. Certain exemptions apply and are detailed below.

Apply for a Rental Property License 

The Rental Property license application is available through our online licensing system (Accela) and can be accessed via the Citizen Access portal. The items below are required to be submitted with the application. Once submitted, City staff will review your application and let you know if any other information is needed.

  1. Background Investigation Consent Form (PDF)
  2. Tax Identification Form (PDF)

Annual license fees are based on the following calculation: $150 + 50/unit.

You can pay for your license at the end of the online application with a credit card (2.5% processing fee applies). If you prefer, you can mail your payment to the City of Maplewood at 1902 County Road B E in Maplewood, MN 55109. Please reference your Record # on the check prior to sending it in.


Inspection of the rental property is required before a license is issued. Initial inspection and first re-inspection will not incur an additional fee; however, if the city has to conduct additional inspections to bring a rental property into compliance the additional fees will apply: a 2nd re-inspection = $250 fee; 3rd or more re-inspections = $500 fee (per re-inspection).

Rental Inspection Checklist (PDF)

Upon receipt of a complete application, you will be notified by email to schedule an inspection. You can also schedule the inspection using the link below. Please note, an inspection will not be conducted until a complete application has been received. Once approved you will receive an email with access to your digital license.


  1. Matt Young

    Neighborhood Preservation Officer - Rental Licensing

  2. Regan Beggs

    Administrative Assistant

Resources for Renters in Maplewood

  • Rental Assistance Information
  • Fair Housing and Tenant Rights Information
  • HOME Line - This is a nonprofit Minnesota statewide tenant advocacy organization with many online resources for renters.
  • Minnesota Attorney General’s Office - The office’s website contains a section on Landlord and Tenant's Rights and Responsibilities. The city cannot act as a tenant advocate or provide legal advice to tenants or landlords. 
  • Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services - Free legal resources to low-income and seniors (60+) in a full range of civil matters.
  • Ramsey County District Court - Minnesota Statute 504B.385 allows renters to file a Rent Escrow Action against their landlord if they are not maintaining the property. The Second District Court can give you more information on how to do this; call 651-266-8230.

Guide to using the Citizen Access Portal 

Please use the reference guides below to assist you in registering for an account and applying for a license. If you need additional assistance, please contact us at 651-249-2312.

  1. Registering for an Account
  2. Applying for a Rental Property license