Poultry permits have a duration period of two years. They will renew on the April 30th of each odd year.
Applications for a Poultry Permit have been transitioned to an online licensing system (Accela) and are available for access via the Citizen Access Portal.
The following document is required to be submitted with this application
- Coop Details (show location on property, dimensions of coop, and distance to property lines and structures)
Guide to using the Citizen Access Portal
Please use the reference guides below to assist you in registering for an account and applying for a license. If you need additional assistance, please contact us at 651-249-2001.
- Registering for an Account
- Applying for a License
Following is the City’s process for issuing a poultry permit:
- The City’s Licensing Specialist sends out a certified letter to all neighboring properties to obtain the required consent for the permit (60% of your adjacent property owners must consent to the permit).
- The letter contains a general outline of the poultry ordinance, applicant’s request, and outlines a time frame for response. A "no reply" to the letter from the adjacent property owner is viewed as consent.
- If the City receives 60% approvals, a City Enforcement Officer inspects the coop to ensure it was constructed in compliance with the permit requirements.
- Once the inspection has passed, the Licensing Specialist will invoice the applicant and upon payment will mail the permit and numbered leg bands to the owner. The leg bands will identify the animal’s owners and will help the City Animal Control Officer contact the applicant if the animal strays.