Color Code for Marking Underground Utility Lines
- Blue - Water
- Green - Sewer
- Orange - Communication CATV
- Pink - Temporary survey markings
- Purple - Reclaimed water, irrigation
- Red - Electric
- White - Proposed excavation
- Yellow - Gas-Oil-Steam
After the underground utilities have been marked, and the 48-hour time frame has elapsed, the excavation work may commence.
- A minimum clearance of 2 feet between a marked and unexposed underground utility and the cutting edge or point of any power-operated equipment must be kept.
- If the excavation is required within 2 feet of any marking, the excavation should be performed very carefully with hand tools.
- If there has been any damage to an underground utility, or if there is a suspicion of damage, it is the excavator's responsibility to notify the utility company directly.
- If the situation appears to be dangerous, call 911.