COMMUNICATIONS AND NEWS FROM THE WEEK: OCTOBER 31, 2022
Meetings and Announcements:
- The next regular City Council Meeting will be on Monday, November 14th. We will be considering approval of the Reuter Walton project. We expect that there will be a large turnout from the neighborhood.
- We had an EDA meeting scheduled at 6:30 to discuss the Reuter Walton TIF term sheet and project but after speaking with Mayor Abrams we realized that we should not talk about financing plans until we know if the project is approved. We will move the EDA meeting to the November 28thmeeting at 5:30 pm.
- On November 28th we will also have a workshop at 6pm to discuss Purple Line engagement process.
MnDOT Open House Meeting
On Thursday this week, MnDOT held an open house meeting for their upcoming Highway 5/Minnehaha Avenue and Stillwater Road Project. This project includes Minnehaha Avenue (from East 7th Street to McKnight Road) and Stillwater Road (from McKnight Road to Century Avenue).
The project includes road resurfacing, sidewalk and trail repairs, tree removal and replacement, and traffic calming measures. At the meeting MnDOT staff was available for questions, had project boards setup, and gave a presentation about the project. Approximately 20 people from both Maplewood and St. Paul were in attendance.
Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023.
Hwy 5 St. Paul to Maplewood Project - MnDOT
The following are a few quick updates about Maplewood Projects:
- Gervais Avenue Project – Construction of the improvements were completed with the placement of the last layer of pavement
- Cope Avenue Project – All concrete work has been completed!!! The final layer of pavement is schedule to be placed next Monday (weather dependent).
- McMenemy Road Project – The contractor continues to make progress on the project. The base layer of pavement has been place from Larpenteur Avenue to Skillman Avenue (roughly ¾ of the project) The last section, from Skillman Avenue to County Road B, is scheduled for the base layer paving next week.
- Parkway Drive Improvements – The new storm sewer force main, concrete walk, and the mill and overlay of the north half of Parkway Drive have been completed. The remaining work includes boulevard restoration and relocation of an existing fence.
PARKS AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Volunteers Remove Buckthorn Along Keller Parkway
Volunteer Anita Jader led a group of four adults with three chainsaws to remove a massive amount of buckthorn along Keller Parkway, the morning of October 29. The buckthorn was overhanging the shoulder, used as a walking path by area residents. Because the road is maintained by the county, Natural Resources Coordinator Carole Gernes acted as liaison to ensure pickup by Ramsey County Public Works. A huge shout-out to these volunteers for helping to manage buckthorn in Maplewood!
Please note that Melinda is out of the office and will return on Monday, November 14th. As a reminder, our offices will be closed in observation of Veteran’s Day on Friday, November 11, 2022.
Enjoy the weekend! -mike