COMMUNICATIONS AND NEWS FROM THE WEEK: October 21, 2022
Meetings and Announcements:
The next regular City Council Meeting will be on Monday, October 24th. We will have a brief workshop at 6:45 to interview one candidate for an opening on the HPC. We will not be serving dinner before-hand.
On November 14th will have an EDA meeting at 6:30 to discuss the Reuter Walton TIF term sheet and project approval at the City Council meeting on the 14th.
Announcement from the White Bear Lake Chamber
Ribbon Cutting Celebration for M Health Fairview - St. John's Hospital New Cath Labs!, November 2nd | 4:30pm, 1575 Beam Ave. | Maplewood, MN 55109
Join us as we celebrate the Opening of five Cardiac Cath Labs at St. John's Hospital! Five new cardiac catherization laboratories equipped with state-of-the-art technology recently opened at M Health Fairview St. John’s Hospital. With the opening of the labs, St. John’s is now the only hospital in the East Metro suburbs offering tertiary cardiac care – a higher level of specialty care that includes access to complex interventional cardiology procedures, advanced cardiac electrophysiology procedures, and hybrid procedures. We will hear from Danielle Gathje, Vice President of Hospital Operations and her M Health Fairview team, learn more about the labs and ask questions. Don't forget your business cards!
Potential Townhome Development on 11th Avenue
Kennedy Property Development is proposing the City of Maplewood amend its comprehensive plan for the vacant parcel of property located on 11th Ave in Maplewood – north of Cub Foods – from Commercial to High-Density Residential and approve their request to build four, 4-unit, residential row-style townhomes. There would be 16 total 3-bedroom, 3-bathroom single-family dwellings with attached 2-car garages.
The developer is holding an open house on Friday, October 28, 2022, from 4-8 p.m. at 4165 Old Sibley Memorial Hwy in Eagan where attendees will have the opportunity to walk through and tour an existing project the applicant developed. Property owners within 500 feet of the Maplewood property have been invited to this open house.
This project will be reviewed by the Planning Commission on November 15, with Council review to follow.
PARKS AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Maplewood City Hall Campus Update
Here are the latest updates on the progress of the City Hall Campus Restoration for Pollinators:
- Round two of goat browsing began on Wednesday, October 12. Fourteen goats cleared the area near the City Hall building and were moved to the second enclosure on Saturday, October 15.
- Additional goats were added to the herd on Wednesday, October 19. We now have a total of 30 goats.
- Jake from goat dispatch installed a solar system for charging the inner electric fence, replacing the need for long extension cords that could be accidentally disconnected.
- Staff and volunteers have done a great job walking the area to check on fences and watch for issues.
- Goats should be finished with the second section and moved to the third area around the pond soon.
- Native woodland plant seeds were planted by Century College Ecology class students on September 22, during their service learning lab session. Great River Greening staff are adding more woodland seed today, October 21.
- RockLeafWater Environmental seeded the turf conversion area a second time on October 21. Great River Greening dropped off extra educational signage for placement along the turf conversion areas.
IN THE NEWS
Below are the many articles associated with the homicide of the young child. Such a horrific and tragic incident. Our public safety staff were amazing and I appreciate their professionalism and resiliency in the face on such a heinous crime.
Enjoy this beautiful weather, while it lasts.