The Maplewood Fire Department is a combined fire and emergency medical services (EMS) department consisting of 30 full-time staff. The department’s administrative staff includes the Chief of Fire & EMS, Battalion Chief of Operations and Training, and administrative assistant.
The Fire administration is responsible for all operations of the department. Headed by the Chief of Fire & EMS, the duties of fire administration include:
- Preparation and control of the annual operating budget
- Administration of the fire data processing systems (NFIRS)
- Recruitment and enlistment of new employees
- Provision of continuing education and training
- Evaluation of the agency and its programs
- Planning and for future service needs.
The Maplewood Fire Department exists to serve the community’s needs. We commit to enhancing the quality of life through innovative community risk reduction and emergency responses
The Maplewood Fire Department aims to be recognized as an industry leader and employer of choice. We will accomplish this by hiring and developing exceptional people, ensuring financial responsibility, and being an inclusive member of the community while embodying our core values.
- Accountability: Take ownership of our actions, processes, services and results.
- Excellence: Approach every challenge and customer with determination to deliver the best service possible.
- Integrity: Act with honor and truthfulness by always doing the right thing.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate respectful and conscientious service in action, appearance, attitude and standards.
- Teamwork: Combine individual strength to create cohesion, produce positivity and support one another to maximize performance.
Service Before Self
Meet Chief of Fire & EMS, Michael Mondor
Michael Mondor is the Chief of Fire & EMS for the Maplewood, MN Fire Department. Chief Mondor has over 19 years of experience working in volunteer, career, combination, hospital based, tiered response, police based and fire based EMS systems.
Chief Mondor is passionate about advancing the EMS profession and is specifically interested in Illness/Injury prevention, cardiac arrest resuscitation, and pediatric pre-hospital care. Prior to earning his Bachelor of Science from Waldorf College, he earned a Paramedic Diploma from Century College.
Chief Mondor lives in Stillwater, Minnesota with his wife, Ricki, and two sons.
Meet Assistant Fire Chief, Shawn Conway
Shawn Conway is the Assistant Fire Chief of Operations for the Maplewood, MN Fire Department. Chief Conway is a 28-year veteran of emergency services covering fire (structural and crash fire rescue) and EMS (pre-hospital and critical care for ground, inter-facility and rotor wing disciplines) in metropolitan, hospital based and military environments.
Operationally, Chief Conway is focused on advancing and strengthening skillsets for safe and efficient firefighting tactics, while mentoring and supporting career development for personnel. He holds a Bachelor of Science from Liberty University in Business, an Associates of Applied Science in Fire Science and is a national registered paramedic.
Chief Conway lives his wife, Keri, and two sons, in Andover, MN.